Sunday 21 July 2013

Chapter 2: Allow me to reintroduce myself...

It took me a good 6 weeks to adjust to my new routine at Home. My very first real home. It became apparent that I was a very special creature to my Mum; I was her very first own horse. She had been around horses her whole life but I was the first horse she could call her own. She was so proud of every little thing I did, it felt good to be appreciated and I tried really hard to impress her on a daily basis.

To begin with, I was fielded with Babylon Babe and Princess, my Best Field Companions. They accepted me into their herd quite happily. This pleased me as I was a bit of a lone ranger before. Every morning, Mum would turn up to give me a morning feed and then we would all get turned out together. Then every evening, I would be brought in from the field with the others and worked before being put to bed in a lovely, fresh stable with a big bowl of dinner.

I remember the first night I had carrots in my bowl, these bright orange things. They looked most peculiar and I shied away from my bowl snorting and stamping my front hoof on the ground. My Mum just laughed at me and asked if I had ever seen carrots before. She scooped one out of my bowl and held it out to me, quietly reassuring me that they were orange but tasty. I nervously approached her hand and took a nibble at it, it wasn't too bad. I nodded my head in approval and continued to chomp on the carrot in her hand before returning to my dinner bowl.

Five nights a week I was lunged, the 6th night I was freeschooled and the 7th night was pamper and rest day. This lunging malarkey was new to me, I didn't really understand it. I hated the contact to begin with but I gradually became accustomed to it and realised that this was a good exercise to let me stretch out. However, freeschooling was my favourite!! I would run around the school really stretching out and bronching and prancing as much as possible. It was my fun time; Mum called it "Morgan's Mad Moments". I did this routine for a solid month. Then one day, Mum tacked me up and hopped on board. We just walked around for ten minutes to start with to see how it went. Then we gradually worked up to trot and canter. I was getting used to these schooling sessions.

During week 4, it was apparent that my stay was to become more permanent; Mum called the vet out. I had what she called a vetting. She was at work that day but her Mum came to help the vet and I was not best pleased. I was brought in from the field away from my friends and made to do all these stupid movements and trotted around. Well, I put on quite a show. Prancing and snorting and generally misbehaving. The vet gave me the all clear but was concerned that my Mum wouldn't be able to handle my "attitude"; I didn't know what she was on about, my Mum thinks I'm an angel *snickering*.

My Mum wanted to know about the sores that were all over my coat that, although were healing,  were still patchy and some were still there. The vet confirmed it was rain scald and that my Mum should keep doing what she was doing and it would heal and my coat would improve. I was putting on weight and my summer coat started to come through; I was really coming into my own and my Mum and her friends would always say how beautiful I was looking. My summer coat goes dapply, it really is quite pretty if I may say so myself.

As the weeks went by, I settled into my new routine. I worked really heard to impress my Mum although that didn't take much effort; she was totally smitten and bought me on week 6 of the 3 month trial. She said there was no way I was going back and the knowledge that I was to stay at Home with her made me the happiest mare alive. I really had landed on my hooves...

Pamper Time
 
 New improved look
 
 Prancing
 

No comments:

Post a Comment